Bethel Women's Ministry

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Dreaming with God and Amazing Grace

Last night my mom and I went to see Amazing Grace. It has me inspired and ready to run to the library to track down biographies on William Wilberforce and William Pitt. I left the theater thinking, "God, can You use me like that?"

But you know what? William Wilberforce had a dream that took YEARS to see to fruition. And those weren't years sat waiting passively. His health was wrecked. His reputation was questioned. He and his team gathered all kinds of evidence about the evils of the slave trade. And after fifteen years of fighting he was ready to give up. I don't know about you, but after that kind of energy investment and personal cost, I might be tempted to give up, too.

But got sent people to encourage him. And others with fresh ideas on how to proceed. They went from expecting 100% change at one time to willingness to chip away at the evil. Then they were ready to play the game. It really made me think of the parallels to abortion in our country.

Also, Dreams don't just happen. Sometimes it takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice on our parts to accomplish what God has placed in our hearts.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, go. But only go if you're willing to be inspired and challenged. We don't have to make a choice between loving God and changing the world. When He plants a dream in our heart...we can do both!

1 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to post a thank you to all the people who helped put together the ladies retreat. Thank you to Cara, our speakers, the worship team, and the other volunteers who worked to bring it together. I can personally say I was inspired and enjoyed the retreat very much. Your hard work and dedication does not go unnoticed. thanks again and already looking forward to the next retreat. harmony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home